Program Director – Generous Benefits, Dynamic Position with Great Opportunities
Are you passionate about biodiversity and people? Do you want to innovate solutions to help both at a grassroots level? Join Legado and help create the thriving futures for the guardians of the world’s Key Biodiversity Areas with a group of internationally recognized conservation entrepreneurs with opportunities to advance and learn at a global scale.
Legado’s vision is a world where individual choices lead to a collective legacy of thriving futures. We work in some of the world’s most threatened and biodiverse ecosystems, where local people are the decision-makers who determine whether natural resources and those who depend on them will thrive into the future. We support those local people and the groups who work them to achieve thriving futures by supporting thriving people in thriving places.
- We’re a well-funded NGO working in Mozambique and expanding in Kenya, the Philippines and Botswana in 2021.
- We are a values-driven workplace and align our work and our team culture around integrity, leadership, collaboration, communication, thriving futures, and sustainability.
- The biodiversity areas we work in, and the people we work with, thrive from innovation.
We’re looking for a full time Program Director with experience in conservation and/or development, international field work, and willingness to travel and work both independently and with local and international teams. Ideal Program Directors have both previous direct program work experience and a Masters-level, or higher, education.
You will spend 70% of your time facilitating the implementation of our Legacy-Based Futures Program with partner organizations at multiple global locations, and 30% of your time helping us develop the program to grow to new sites. The Legacy-Based Futures Program is in an accelerated research and development phase and as such will be constantly supported through active learning and adaptive management. Roles include but are not limited to partner collaboration and management, grant administration and writing, workshop facilitation, curriculum development, responsive monitoring and evaluation design and implementation, and more. Position details include:
- 35 days PTO
- Typical starting salary of $90,000/year
Work from home in the US and abroad—Program Managers are on-site in global locations 4-5 months a year (COVID allowing)
Why Should You Apply?
- Innovative environment
- Top benefits
- Remote working opportunities
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities
Please see full job description below.
To apply, send a resume, letter of interest including a description of relevant experience, and the names and contact information of two or more references via email to email@example.com
LEGADO – Thriving Futures Program Director Job Description
The Thriving Futures Program Director will ensure high quality and innovative implementation of Legado’s Legacy-Based Futures Program and lead on coordinated implementation of the program with partners in Kenya, Botswana, and additional program sites to be announced.
Essential Job Functions:
The Thriving Futures Program Director is the strategic lead for the Legacy-Based Futures project, and as such s/he plans, oversees, and coordinates all aspects of program implementation with partner organizations and field teams to ensure the program is implemented and developed inside of Legado’s accelerated research and development phase of program development and delivery. Fundamental to this R&D phase is a commitment to active learning and adaptive management. Job functions include, but are not limited to, program coordination and management, program development and refinement, reporting and documentation, careful financial and administrative management, and adherence to Legado policies and procedures.
Overall Program Direction and Implementation
- Lead on partner collaboration and management, overseeing program managers as direct connection points for each partnership
- Lead Legacy-Based Futures program with over-arching commitment and practice of active learning and adaptive management
- Adapt and coordinate responsive monitoring and evaluation for overall Legacy-Based Futures program and each specialized project area
- Serve as lead facilitator for delivery of Legacy-Based Futures programming
- Lead and foster projects and programs in line with Legado values: integrity, leadership, collaboration, communication, thriving futures, and sustainability
Project Partner Coordination
- Serve as convener and connector for all partners working on project site including local people, conservation and development organizations, government, and other stakeholders
- Support managers and field team from implementing partners to ensure innovative, effective, and efficient program delivery
- Establish and implement an adaptive learning management culture with all program staff with project partners
Project Personnel Management
- Supervise Legado Program Managers by providing direction, input, and feedback
- Facilitate Legado project team to create effective and innovative solutions for site-related opportunities and challenges
- Mentor Program Managers to become lead facilitators of Legacy-Based Futures programing
- Lead and collaborate on Legacy-Based Futures
- Curriculum development
- Program implementation
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Cross-project coordination
- Lead and collaborate on grant research, writing, and administration for both Legado specific grants and collaborative grants with current and future partners.
- Facilitate grants and sub-grants from Legado to program partners
- Manage all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures
- Network and attend meetings to develop NGO, government, and multilateral partnerships within program countries as necessary
- Prepare program reports (narrative and financial) for Legado Board of Directors
- Join Board meetings as needed
- Plan the delivery of the overall program and its activities in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization
- Develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Create copy and imagery for social media, annual report, and other communication pieces
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters required
- 6-8 years of demonstrated experience in conservation or sustainable development
- Ideal candidate has working experience creating and managing program conservation or development program in under-resourced and remote international locations
- Prior experience in Africa preferred
- High competency in budget creation and administration
- High competency in grant writing and grant administration
- Hands-on experience Proficiency with Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Outlook
- Fluency in English required
- Underlying commitment to achievement of Thriving Futures goals— the nexus between thriving people and thriving places.
- Commitment to innovation and adaptive learning
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a culture of growth and learning, both personally and professionally
- Flexibility and ability to work in fluid, ambiguous, and rapidly changing circumstances
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with minimal supervision
- Excellent organizational skills
Travel Requirements and Working Conditions
- Up to 5 months per year on site in locations such as Kenya, Botswana, and beyond (COVID-permitting)
- Thriving Futures Director will work a standard work week (typically 8-6pm, 5 days per week) but may be required to work some evenings and weekends to monitor program activities and have meetings with U.S. based leadership.
- Thriving Futures Director will customarily work field days while in remote locations and office hours when working at home in the U.S.
- Management of existing Legacy-Based Futures programs (70%)
- Identification of new Legacy-Based Futures opportunities (15%)
- Support general Legado strategic development (15%)
Key Performance Indicators
- Status of alignment with on the ground partners, including local people, communities, conservation and development partners, and other stakeholders
- Number of Project Milestones completed on-time with sign off
- Cycle Time: Time needed to complete a certain task or activity
- On-Time Completion Percentage: Whether or not an assignment or task is completed by a given deadline
- Efficient Management of Program Budget: Limit variance of actual and project budget
- Detailed Communication and Reporting to both Legado Executive Director and in-country team