A JOURNEY OF ADVENTURE, DISCOVERY, AND LEGACY BUILDING IN KENYA IN 2021
Kenya 2021 Legacy Expedition
November 6-14th, 2021
We have a future to craft together.
In November 2021, Legado is bringing 6 supporters to the Mathews Mountain Range in Kenya for a once-in-a-lifetime journey to the heart of our world’s most biodiverse mountain ecosystems.
The trip will include hiking, sharing with local communities around the Mathews Range, and an optional safari extension complete with a visit to the Reteti Elephant Sanctuary to help strengthen the community and protect orphan elephants who live there. Our 10-day journey will culminate in a three-day community workshop where we launch legacies toward Thriving Futures with the Samburu communities.
Legado’s community workshops are a cornerstone of our programming. Our last community workshop brought together over 90 people from across Namuli, Mozambique, and the world — from Nicau, Namuli’s northern outpost to Los Angeles, from a Canadian running for political office in Vancouver to a Lomwe Queen, from a government official living in a coastal capital to a cassava farmer making her living on the slopes of a mountain. And together we created goals and visions for orphanages, forests, education, chickens and fields — Thriving Futures for all.
In 2021 we’re doing it again – in Kenya – and we want you to be a part of it
The cumulative impact of individual actions sets the trajectory of the future. When people think of their lives as having a legacy, they are emboldened to conceive and drive their own vision for a thriving future.
Legado works to activate the power of legacy around the world so that people and their natural environment can thrive together – now and into the future.
Our Kenya 2021 Legacy Expedition offers an opportunity to join the Legado team and our Namunyak Conservency partners to mobilize legacies in Kenya’s Mathews Mountains and is also part of a “Shareback” partnership we have Lightyear Leadership.
“My experience traveling to Mt. Namuli and working with Legado was exceptional. The participants in our 3-day workshop, founded in the curriculum of Lightyear Leadership, ranged from community members, to agricultural specialists, to Ministry Officials. This area of the planet is more beautiful than anywhere I’ve traveled and I’d be thrilled for another opportunity to walk under the open sky of Mozambique. Majka’s style of leadership includes self-discovery, autonomy, and movement. I came away from my trip to Mt Namuli a transformed person and more able to be in service of my own community.“ – Christine Bachman
Legado + You in 2021
Join us to support the Samburu communities to create their vision, determine goals, and initiate actions for a thriving future for their people and mountains during our 2021 Kenya Legacy Expedition.
Join us in this extraordinary adventure as we cumulatively contribute $60,000 to share Legado’s programs with communities around the world.
Are you in?
Get connected to take the first step.
Fundraising and Investment FAQ
Each trip participant will commit to a tax-receiptable investment of $10,000 USD to meet our collective goal of $60,000 to expand the scope and reach of Legado’s work around the world.
These funds will cover:
- All in-country expenses directly related to your stay including food, lodging, local transportation, adventures and more.
- The investment required to produce three-day legacy workshop with the Mathews Range communities.
- Supporting Legado’s larger programing creating Thriving Futures for both people and the wild places they call home.
The impact of this Legacy Expedition will support 200 emerging leaders, advance health and education partnerships for their communities, and create greater possibility for people and wildlife while protecting one of the most intact forests in Eastern Africa.
Your commitment of $10,000 can be met by making a direct donation or fundraising from your own community, and 100% of it is tax-deductible in the United States and Canada.
If you decide to fundraise, we are 100% invested in supporting you in reaching your goal and have fundraising experts on hand to coach you through this process every step of the way. Fundraising will be done largely online through Keela, a fundraising platform that makes engaging your family, friends and community easy.
2021 Legacy Expedition Details
YOUR JOURNEY STARTS AND WRAPS IN THE BEAUTIFUL LEWA WILDLIFE CONSERVANCY, RIGHT NEXT TO MOUNT KENYA.
Lewa is a short one-hour flight from Nairobi, Kenya. Nairobi has direct flights from worldwide destinations including New York, Atlanta, and London and is a portal to world-class safari opportunities.
Our Journey Together
Our time together will be full of adventure, discovery, and legacy building. From exploring the depths of the Mathews Range and mountains, to building a legacy with the Mathew’s Samburu people. By the time you leave Kenya you will have helped catalyze hundreds of legacies of new Samburu friends and advanced your personal legacy.
- Adventuring in the Mathews Range through hikes, runs, and yoga.
- Connecting with Samburu community members in their home communities on the edges of the mountain during the 3 day legacy workshop.
- Learning about what the Namunyak and Samburu communities are doing to create a thriving future for their mountain and their families.
- Journeying into the Mathews pristine forest on 4×4 vehicle and on foot.
- Visit to the Reteti Elephant Sanctuary to help strengthen the community and protect orphan elephants who live there.
I’m interested— are there any prerequisites?
- Participants are committed to champion diversity and inclusion — people in the places where we work usually speak English as a second or third language and have various cultural backgrounds, lifestyles, experiences, and interests. One of our commitments is to champion diversity and inclusion within every step of our programming and we will support you in learning more about the context of each local team and community.
- We ask for all participants to have experience with the Lightyear curriculum prior to the expedition. Together with the Legado team, you will share the responsibility of holding space for legacy building during the workshops. Your direct support of the programming in Kenya, will depend on your level of Lightyear experience (Lightyear Certified Coach or Lightyear Personal Legacy Graduate) and personal preferences. For those unfamiliar with Lightyear there is a simple online course which you can take over four 1.5 hour sessions to meet this prerequisite.
WHAT ABOUT COVID?
Legado believes that it is possible to hold our 2021 Legacy Expedition in Kenya and do it safely at that time inside of what we hope will be the dwindling end of the COVID-19 pandemic. Alongside of this we are monitoring the situation in Kenya and globally daily and it’s important to be realistic about the factors that can impact this future trip. It is also important that we give you a brief outline of our decision-making process around this and how it impacts you — both from a logistics perspective and in terms of your fundraising commitment.
Please note that all participants on the Legacy Expedition must have a COVID-19 vaccine prior to departure.
At present, Kenya requires proof of a negative PCR COVID-19 certificate for a test conducted 96 hours prior to travel.
Timeline for Decision:
The Legado team will be working with our Kenya partners to monitor the COVID situation and practices in Kenya and in our participant’s home countries.
The Legado team will make a decision to continue with the expedition or postpone it and share it with the expedition participants.
Deadline for participants to purchase their travel tickets, insurance, etc.
COVID-19 and the Impact on Fundraising:
As you fundraise for this Legacy Expedition, we ask you to ensure that all of your fundraising activities (ex: fundraising events) are in accordance with your county/state/nation’s COVID-19 restrictions and protocols.
Should we decide in August that it is necessary to postpone our Legacy Expedition to Kenya, this is how it will impact your fundraising:
- We cannot legally issue refunds for any donations already received.
- Donations already received will go directly to expanding our Legacy Programming in Kenya in 2021.
- Donations already received will be credited towards your fundraising goal for a 2022 Legacy Expedition to Kenya. For example, if you have raised $7,500 already this year, you will only need to fundraise the balance for the 2022 Legacy Expedition.