A JOURNEY OF ADVENTURE, DISCOVERY, AND LEGACY BUILDING IN KENYA IN 2021
Kenya 2021 Legacy Expedition
Lightyear Leadership Global Shareback | November 6-13th, 2021
We have a future to craft together.
In November 2021, Legado is joining forces with Lightyear Leadership to bring 6 leaders to the Mathews Mountain Range in Kenya for a once-in-a-lifetime journey to the heart of our world’s most biodiverse mountain ecosystems.
The trip will include hiking, sharing with local communities around the Mathews Range, and an optional safari extension complete with a visit to the Reteti Elephant Sanctuary to help strengthen the community and protect orphan elephants who live there. Our 10-day journey will culminate in a three day community workshop where you will help us share key Lightyear Leadership concepts inside Legado’s Legacy-based Thriving Futures program.
Three years ago, Legado and Lightyear brought together over 90 people from across Namuli, Mozambique, and the world — from Nicau, Namuli’s northern outpost to Los Angeles, from a Canadian running for political office in Vancouver to a Lomwe Queen, from a government official living in a coastal capital to a cassava farmer making her living on the slopes of a mountain. And together we created goals and visions for orphanages, forests, education, chickens and fields — thriving futures for all.
In 2021 we’re doing it again – in Kenya – and we want you to be a part of it
Legado and Lightyear’s collaboration in Mozambique has grown to our new partnership in Kenya. Help us launch our work with the Namunyak Community Conservancy and Lightyear to elevate the positive impacts of conservation, cultivate choice, and co-create greater possibility for current and future generations of Samburu people who live and depend on the Mathews Forest range.
Legado activates the power of legacy in individuals so they can drive collective action towards a thriving future for both people and the natural resources upon which they depend.
When people think of their lives as having a legacy, they are emboldened to arrive at their own vision for what a thriving future might look like and take actions that will allow them to achieve that vision.
Our Kenya 2021 Legacy Expedition offers an opportunity to join the Legado team and our Namunyak Conservency partners to mobilize legacies Kenya’s Mathews Mountains,
“My experience traveling to Mt. Namuli and working with Legado was exceptional. The participants in our 3-day workshop, founded in the curriculum of Lightyear Leadership, ranged from community members, to agricultural specialists, to Ministry Officials. This area of the planet is more beautiful than anywhere I’ve traveled and I’d be thrilled for another opportunity to walk under the open sky of Mozambique. Majka’s style of leadership includes self-discovery, autonomy, and movement. I came away from my trip to Mt Namuli a transformed person and more able to be in service of my own community.“ – Christine Bachman
Legado + Lightyear + You in 2021
Join us to support the Samburu communities to create their vision, determine goals, and initiate actions for a thriving future for their people and mountain during our 2021 Global Shareback in Kenya.
Join us in this extraordinary adventure as we cumulatively contribute $60,000 to share Legado foundational programs using Lightyear fundamentals with the communities Legado works with around the world.
Are you in?
Get connected to take the first step.
Fundraising and Investment FAQ
Each trip participant will commit to a tax-receiptable investment of $10,000 USD to meet our collective goal of $60,000 to expand the scope and reach of Legado’s Legacy Model work around the world.
These funds will cover:
- All in-country expenses directly related to your stay including food, lodging, local transportation, adventures and more.
- The investment required to produce three-day Legacy Model trainings with the Mathews Range communities.
- Supporting the initiatives of Legado to continue protecting Sky Island’s critical mountain ecosystem by working hand in hand with the people who call the mountain home.
The impact of this Legacy Expedition will support 200 emerging leaders, advance health and education partnerships for their communities, and create greater possibility for people and wildlife while protecting one of the most intact forests in Eastern Africa.
Your commitment of $10,000 can be met by making a direct donation or fundraising from your own community, and 100% of it is tax-deductible in the United States and Canada.
If you decide to fundraise, we are 100% invested in supporting you in reaching your goal and have fundraising experts on hand to coach you through this process every step of the way. Fundraising will be done largely online through Keela, a fundraising platform that makes engaging your family, friends and community easy.
2021 Legacy Expedition Details
YOUR JOURNEY STARTS AND WRAPS IN THE BEAUTIFUL LEWA WILDLIFE CONSERVANCY, RIGHT NEXT TO MOUNT KENYA.
Lewa is a short one-hour flight from Nairobi, Kenya. Nairobi has direct flights from worldwide destinations including New York, Atlanta, and London and is a portal to world-class safari opportunities.
Our Journey Together
Our time together will be full of adventure, discovery, and legacy building. From exploring the depths of the Mathews Range and mountains, to building a legacy with the Mathew’s Samburu people. By the time you leave Kenya you will have catalyzed a new generation of leaders and advanced your personal legacy.
- Adventuring in the Mathews Range through hikes, runs, and yoga.
- Connecting with Samburu community members in their home communities on the edges of the mountain during the 3 day leadership training.
- Learning about what the Namunyak and Samburu communities are doing to create a thriving future for their mountain and their families.
- Journeying into the Mathews pristine forest on 4×4 vehicle and on foot.
- Visit to the Reteti Elephant Sanctuary to help strengthen the community and protect orphan elephants who live there.
I’m interested— are there any prerequisites?
- We ask for all participants to have experience with the Lightyear curriculum prior to the expedition. Together with the Legado team, you will share the responsibility of holding space for legacy building during the workshops. Your direct support of the programming in Kenya, will depend on your level of Lightyear experience (Lightyear Certified Coach or Lightyear Personal Legacy Graduate) and personal preferences.
- Participants are committed to champion diversity and inclusion — people in the places where we work usually speak English as a second or third language and have various cultural backgrounds, lifestyles, experiences, and interests. One of our commitments is to champion diversity and inclusion within every step of our programming and we will support you in learning more about the context of each local team and community.
What about COVID?
- We have chosen the dates for this program so that we have the best chance of being able to fulfill on that goal.
- At present, Kenya requires proof of a negative PCR COVID-19 certificate for a test conducted 96 hours prior to travel.
- We recommend getting travel insurance to protect yourself in case of COVID-19 related circumstances or travel cancellations.
Can I stay in Kenya and the Namunyak Conservancy Longer?
- The Namunyak Conservancy and surrounding area in the Mathews Range and beyond in Northern Kenya is an incredible place for adventure and discovery. You are more than welcome to extend your stay there, at your own expense, and coordinate with others to do the same.
- Looking for some inspiration to stay longer, check out:
“The leadership principles and tools of Lightyear along with the incredible local and environmental knowledge of Legado is a powerhouse combo! I am humbled and ecstatic to be a part of the mission to preserve our Earth and bring the principles of grassroots change to the thousands of people who call mountains home.” — Casey